Monday, February 25, 2019

10 Things....Day 1

I was inspired a few years ago (that long already?) by Alisha Sommer who began writing a list of 10 things each day. She was inspired (I believe) by the poet Marie Howe. So I looked up Marie Howe and found this episode of OnBeing where she said this:

I ask my students every week to write 10 observations of the actual world.  It’s very hard for them… Just tell me what you saw this morning like in two lines.  I saw a water glass on a brown tablecloth, and the light came through it in three places.  No metaphor.  And to resist metaphor is very difficult because you have to actually endure the thing itself, which hurts us for some reason.

In an effort to begin my own practice of "observing, being astonished, and telling about it" (from Mary Oliver)  I'm going to begin my own daily list of 10 things to share here. 

**********************

1. The clouds are hanging heavy but the rain hasn't begun yet.
2. Coloring crosses and listening to kindergartners talk about God. They are so wise in their simplicity.
3. This place really is holy--I need to open up to it more
4. Here's the rain. Tons of it.
5. I really should run to the grocery store, instead I put on my comfy pants, my favorite sweater and curl up in my chair.
6.Three Disney movies in a row. There could be worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon.
7. The way the dark bare branches look way up high against the grey sky always reminds me of poetry.
8. Hours of sitting knitting makes my body sore, my eyes itch and my mood off. I need to remember to take breaks and stretch.
9. Supper is whatever we can find. I really should have gone to the store.
10. Why do the girls always go crazy wild and loud at bedtimes? I am ready for quiet and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment